Larry Ashley Scholarship
About the Award
The Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA), in conjunction with the Vancouver Canucks Alumni Association, awards an academic athletic therapy scholarship in memory of Mr. Larry Ashley. A leader in the field of athletic therapy, Mr. Ashley served professional hockey for over 20 years with dedication and excellence.
This award recognizes a Certification Candidate who is currently enrolled in an athletic therapy program at one of the CATA Accredited Institutions (Sherian College, York University, Concordia University, Camosun College, Mount Royal University, University of Manitoba, and University of Winnipeg). The winner of this award will demonstrate commitment to developing practical and academic athletic therapy skills in the field of professional hockey, and will receive a scholarship valued at $2500.
In order to be considered for this award, the applicant must:
- be a Certification Candidate and member of the Canadian Athletic Therapy Association (CATA);
- be enrolled in an academic program at an Accredited Institution of the CATA;
- be involved in practical field work in the area of organized hockey and be demonstrating a potential for excellence through commitment;
- have two letters of recommendation from coaches, physicians or administrators verifying the candidates work and potential future in hockey and academic success to date;
- have a letter of recommendation from his/her Supervisory Athletic Therapist (SAT);
- include a cover letter of no more than two pages describing his/her reasons for applying for this scholarship; and
- include a copy of the most recent academic transcripts (if ordered and sent directly to the National Office, a copy of receipt must accompany the application).
How to Apply
You can apply for the Larry Ashley Memorial Scholarship by:
- Logging on to your member profile on the CATA website (http://www.athletictherapy.org/)
- Click on "My Member Info"
- Click on "Applications"
- Click on "Awards"
- Click on "Add New Application"
- Click on "Larry Ashley Award"
- Fill out required fields and submit required documentation
The application process typically opens every year at the beginning of January with a June 15 deadline.