2014 Draft Lottery
Yes, actually. When the NHL conducts the 2014 Draft Lottery Tuesday evening, there’s a chance the Vancouver Canucks could acquire the first overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.
It’s a 6.2 per cent chance, but it’s a chance.
The Canucks, currently slotted into the sixth overall pick thanks to finishing 25th overall this season, are one of 13 non-playoff teams eligible to nab the coveted first overall selection.
For Vancouver, the best outcome from the Draft Lottery, which airs on TSN beginning at 5 p.m. PST, would obviously be attaining the top pick; there’s a 17 per cent chance the Canucks fall to seventh overall (the lowest they can go) and an 83 per cent chance they retain the sixth pick.
Clear as mud, right?
Our friends at the Edmonton Oilers were kind enough to create a draft simulator and after testing it 100 times, I can tell you the Canucks won the draft lottery just twice, first 33rd overall, then 72nd overall.
That doesn’t help anything, I know, and I gave Oilers.com 100 page views in five minutes – you’re welcome – but it drilled in the fact that the lottery is luck. Despite that, karma plays a part in my world, so I’m going to do what I can to help luck be on Vancouver’s side tonight.
Whoever is behind me when I buy lunch today, it's on me.
If the Canucks end up with the first overall pick on June 27 at the 2014 NHL Draft in Philadelphia, you know who to thank.
-Where are you going for lunch today Derek annnnd at what time?
-14 teams missed the playoffs this year, why are only 13 teams eligible to acquire the first overall selection?
The New Jersey Devils aren't eligible to win the draft lottery and will select 30th overall in the first round following the NHL’s decision to reverse a penalty handed to the Devils in 2010 for cap circumvention. Basically New Jersey is listed in the draft lottery to keep it balanced, but the Devils can't win due to a rules infraction from a previous trade; they select 30th overall no matter what. If the Devils win, a re-draw will take place.
-In draft lottery history, how many teams have gone against the odds and swiped the first overall pick?
Since 1995, eight teams have jumped into the top spot, however, until 2012 NHL rules stated that no club could move up more than four positions in the draft order. This is no longer the case.
-Who will be selected first overall at the 2014 NHL Draft?
What am I a mind reader now? I still haven’t decided where to eat lunch.
-Will Canucks.com have immediate reaction from president Trevor Linden following the draft lottery?
Of course. We’ve got you covered.