Comets rewind - Nov 12, 2013
It wasn't the prettiest of starts for the Utica Comets (2-8-1-1), but it now appears things are turning around. After dropping their first 10 games of the season, the Comets finally picked up their first win in franchise history after defeating the Lake Erie Monsters on Friday night and then followed that up with a 3-1 win over Hamilton on Sunday.Weekly Results
Tuesday, November 5: Toronto Marlies 5 – Utica Comets 2
- Alex Grenier netted his second goal of the season just 1:10 into the game to give the Comets an early 1-0 lead. Benn Ferriero picked up his fourth goal of the year late in the second period.
- Henrik Tommernes, Zach Hamill, Kellan Lain and Brandon DeFazio all grabbed assists in the game.
- DeFazio, Grenier and Lane led the Comets with plus-1 ratings.
- Grenier had a team-high four shots on goal in the game.
- Joacim Eriksson stopped 24-of-29 shots fired his way.
- The game wrapped up a six-game home stand for the Comets that saw them finish with a 0-4-1-1 record.
Thursday, November 7: Lake Erie Monsters 4 – Utica Comets 0
- This one wasn't a pretty one for the Comets as they were outshot 42-21 in the game.
- Colin Stuart and Nicklas Jensen both had four shots on goal, which was a team-high.
- David Booth made his Comets debut in the game and finished with two shots on goal. It was his first AHL game since April 28, 2007 when he was a member of the Rochester Americans.
- Joacim Eriksson made 38 saves in the game, which is season high for him.
- Kellan Lain dropped the mitts for the fourth time this season, this time taking on a former teammate of his, and a former Canucks forward, Guillaume Desbiens.
Friday, November 8: Utica Comets 3 – Lake Erie Monsters 2
- Colin Stuart scored the game-winner with 2:18 remaining to propel the Comets to their first win in franchise history.
- Zach Hamill, Nicklas Jensen, Kellan Lain, Brandon DeFazio, Alexandre Grenier and David Booth all had assists in the game.
- Joacim Eriksson made 22 saves in goal, earning his first career AHL victory.
- Stuart led all Comets skaters with five shots on goal and was one of five players to finish with a positive plus/minus rating.
Sunday, November 10: Utica Comets 3 – Hamilton Bulldogs 1
- First came the win, now comes the first winning streak in Utica Comets history.
- Alexandre Grenier, Zach Hamill and Colin Stuart all scored for the Comets.
- Pascal Pelletier, Brandon DeFazio, Peter Andersson and Benn Ferriero all picked up assists in the game.
- Stuart led all Comets skaters with a plus-2 rating and five shots on goal.
- Joacim Eriksson kicked aside 29 shots between the barber poles for the Comets and was named First Star of the Game.
Comet of the Week
This marks the third time this season that Alexandre Grenier has been named the Comet of the Week. Grenier may be the most improved prospect in the Canucks organization. He is noticeable every time he steps on the ice, whether it be creating offense or playing physical on the fore check. The Laval, Quebec product posted two goals and one assist in four games this past week, including the game-winning goal in Sunday's win over Hamilton. Through 12 games this season, the 6-foot-4 forward has nine points (3-6-9), 17 penalty-minutes, 21 shots on goal and a team-high plus-3 rating.
- Friday, November 15 vs. Rochester Americans (5-3-2-1)
- Saturday, November 16 vs. Texas Stars (8-4-2-0)