After being the first team to hand the Ducks a loss this season on Friday, the Canucks (2-1-1) will look to do the same tonight to the red hot Sharks (4-0-0) at the HP Pavilion at San Jose.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Canucks earned at least one point in all four meetings against the Sharks last season (3-0-1), including winning both games played in San Jose by identical 3-2 scores.
- The Canucks have not lost a regulation game to the Sharks in two consecutive seasons amassing a 6-0-2 record against San Jose in their last eight outings there.
- The Canucks have a four-game win streak at the HP Pavilion in San Jose entering tonight's game.
- Ex-Canuck F Cody Hodgson and Sharks F Logan Couture each had three goals and four points in last year's season series to lead their respective teams. Vancouver F Kevin Bieksa and San Jose F Joe Pavelski had four assists each in the season series.
- This is the first time this season the Canucks are facing an opponent that played the day before. Last season, Vancouver was 5-1-1 against teams that had to play the day before. San Jose blanked Colorado 4-0 yesterday.
- The Canucks don't expect to make any lineup changes tonight despite the fact F Maxim Lapierre missed practice yesterday. F Manny Malhotra is also back with the team following the birth of his son on Thursday in Vancouver.
- The expected goaltending match-up will see Cory Schneider go up against Antti Niemi. Schneider has a 3-1-0 career record against the Sharks with a 4.10 GAA and .922 save percentage. Niemi has a 3-6-0 career record versus Vancouver with a 3.13 GAA and .901 save percentage with one shutout.
- Canucks' captain F Henrik Sedin will appear in his 897th career game as a Canuck tonight moving him into sole possession of second place on the franchise's all-time games played list. Trevor Linden sits atop the list having appeared in 1,140 as a Canuck.
- Friday's win over the Ducks saw the Canucks score at least one goal in all three regulation periods. Last season, the Canucks managed that feat on 22 occasions. They had a record of 18-3-1 in those games.
- The Sharks are off to their best start since 2008.09 when they similarly burst out of the gate with four straight wins. That year they won 13 of their first 15 contests and ended up capturing the Presidents' Trophy at the end of the season. They have never won five games in a row to start a season.
|Back to top ↑|