North American Skater
|LAST CLUB TEAM:
||18 February 1990
||Haliburton, ON, CAN
- Ranked in the top 20 in OHL scoring with 85 points and led the Battalion in goals with 40 in 68 games in 2007-08 – he had five goals in five playoff games before Brampton was eliminated in the first round.
- Led all players at the 2008 Under-18 IIHF World Championships with 10 assists (2-10--12) and 12 points helping Team Canada win gold.
- Voted as the smartest player in the Eastern Conference, ahead of Ottawa 67’s forward Logan Couture, in the 2008 OHL Coaches Poll.
- Helped lead Team Ontario to the gold medal at the 2007 Canada Winter Games.
- Grew up playing for the Markham Waxers with Sarnia Sting’s Steven Stamkos (ranked first overall) and Oshawa Generals’ Michael Del Zotto (ranked 15th overall).
- Started skating at the age of two and played hockey in Haliburton, Ontario before moving to Markham at age seven.
- He patterns his game after Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby “because he loves to compete, he’s the best player in the game and he’s fun to watch”.
- He played his first year of hockey with the Haliburton Huskies in 1994-95 before playing five years with the Markham Waxers in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association and two years with the Toronto Junior Canadiens in the Greater Toronto Hockey League.
- His Markham Waxers coach, Paul Titanic, has had the most influence on his career -- “because he really taught me the fundamentals that have helped me through my career”.
- He wears number 19 after his childhood idol Steve Yzerman and his most memorable hockey moment was winning gold at the 2007 Canada Winter Games.
- The most embarrassing song on his iPod is “Hung Up” by Madonna and if he could be in any one movie it would be Happy Gilmour.
NHL Team: Detroit
NHL Player: Sidney Crosby
Shootout move: “Forehand to backhand deke over the blocker”
Goal celebration: Fist Pump
Practice Drill: “2 on 2 with the nets against the side boards”
Video Game: NHL 2008
TV Show: The Simpsons
Actor/Actress: Brad Pitt and Scarlett Johansson
Book: The 8th Habit by Steven Covey
Pump-up song: “Shine” by Collective Soul
Food to cook: Steak
Sport (other than hockey): Chess and waterskiing
Toy growing up: Mini sticks
Place to shop: National Sports
Place to visit: Cottage in Haliburton